Large Landscape Evaluations
Free on-site Mobile Labservices are available to Santa Barbara and San Luis Obispo County growers and landscape managers. The Mobile Irrigation Lab is staffed by trained professionals from the Cachuma Resource Conservation District (RCD). Irrigation evaluations use standard procedures developed by California Polytechnic State University at San Luis Obispo and the California Department of Water Resources. Over 800 evaluations have been performed on over 70,000 acres.
To schedule a turf or agricultural evaluation, call the Cachuma Resource Conservation District at (805) 928-9269, x. 106.
You may also be eligible for a free customized water budget through our Landscape Budgets Program.
The Cachuma RCD's Mobile Irrigation Lab comes right to your property. All you need to provide, if possible, is a layout of your irrigation system and information on your
irrigation schedule. We provide the following:
- Distribution Uniformity (DU): Sprinkler application rates, pressures, and flow are measured.
- Sprinkler Inspection: Proper sizing and operation are evaluated.
- Soil Survey: The soil type, depth, and texture are identified to determine water holding capacity.
- Controller Settings: Your irrigation schedule is compared to actual water requirements, and seasonal controller settings are recommended.
You will receive recommendations on system design, operation, and maintenance, including a projection of potential savings that could result from implementing recommendations.
Non-ag properties are an hourly rate of $75/hour for consultation and evaluation. Fee-for-service audits are for any audit after we run out of funds that allow for the audits to be free. Typically vineyards, particularly for SIP certification, are fee-for-service.
Click here to view the Free Technical Assistance flyer.
Any property manager with large areas of turf to irrigate can benefit from a turf irrigation evaluation. Properties that could benefit from a turf irrigation evaluation include:
- School playing fields
- Parks and open space areas
- Homeowners associations
- Large commercial landscapes
- Agricultural water users
- City and County landscaping
- Large residential landscapes
- Golf courses
Benefits of the Program
The Cachuma Resource Conservation District offers free irrigation system evaluations to turf
irrigators, evaluating systems individually and making recommendations to improve performance.
Participation in this program is voluntary and all evaluation results are confidential.
By applying the proper amount of water, you may be able to:
- Improve turf quality
- Reduce bacterial and fungal diseases
- Lower pesticide and fertilizer costs
- Reduce water usage and loss
- Decrease pollution
- Decrease leaching of plant nutrients
- Save money by reducing water and energy usage
To schedule a turf evaluation, call the Cachuma Resource Conservation District at (805) 928-9269, x. 106.